Parallel phase shift interferometric detection systems were developed using polarized interferometry, three detectors and multiple wavelengths. In phase shift interferometry (PSI) several phase shifted interference images are usually acquired in a sequence and are algebraically combined to extract the phase information. However, phase imaging is limited both by the 2π phase modulo limiting the ability to map structures with heights only up to half the source's wavelength i.e. several hundreds of nm, and also by error induced by the movements of the sample between the acquisitions of phase shifted interference images. Several approaches for dealing with these limitations have been developed that provided only a limited solution, e.g. using a beat wavelength interferogram by a two wavelength illumination but that is more sensitive to phase noise and thus less accurate and parallel PSI in which all phase shifted images are acquired simultaneously but that does not resolve the height limitation. We have developed a combined and improved technique for parallel PSI and three wavelength illumination enabling overcoming both limitations without elevating phase noise sensitivity. Several bench prototypes were built: some allowing video rate 3D imaging of moving samples such as biological live samples or high throughput scanning of metrology samples with nm scale resolution, and others allowing single point very high speed axial motion tracking and vibrometry with sub-nm scale resolution and max step height of few tens of µm.
1. Michael Ney, Avner Safrani, Ibrahim Abdulhalim, Instantaneous high-resolution focus tracking and a vibrometery system using parallel phase shift interferometry, J. Opt. A (Letters) 18, 09LT05 (5pp) (2016).
2. Michael Ney, Avner Safrani, Ibrahim Abdulhalim, Three wavelengths parallel phase-shift interferometry for real-time focus tracking and vibration measurement, Optics Letter 42, 719-22 (2017).
3. Avner Safrani and Ibrahim Abdulhalim, High speed 3D imaging using two wavelengths parallel phase shift interferometry, Optics Letters 40, 4651-4 (2015).
4. Avner Safrani and Ibrahim Abdulhalim, Full field parallel interferometry coherence probe microscope for high speed optical metrology, Appl. Opt. 54, 5083-87 (2015).
5. Avner Safrani and I. Abdulhalim, Real Time, Phase Shift, Interference Microscopy, Optics Letters 39, 5220-23 (2014).
Ibrahim Abdulhalim, Michael Ney, Amir Aizen, Andrey Nazarov, and Avner Safrani, "Parallel phase shift microscopy, vibrometry and focus tracking systems (Conference Presentation)," Proc. SPIE 10678, Optical Micro- and Nanometrology VII, 106780P (Presented at SPIE Photonics Europe: April 26, 2018; Published: 24 May 2018); https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2316478.5789403201001.
Conference Presentations are recordings of oral presentations given at SPIE conferences and published as part of the proceedings. They include the speaker's narration with video of the slides and animations. Most include full-text papers. Interactive, searchable transcripts and closed captioning are now available for most presentations.
Search our growing collection of more than 25,000 conference presentations, including many plenaries and keynotes.