As the expansion of fibre optic systems continues and the amount of installed single and multiway ruggedised fibre cable increases there has been a growing interest in "IN-SITU" fibre cable repair systems. Until recently, fibre cable repairs have been centred around conventional techniques (1, 2 & 3) i.e. termination and fusion splicing. The repair conditions dictated by these techniques requires the utilisation of the following facilities and materials:-
1. Epoxy resin systems and their applicators.
2. Good polishing facilities.
3. Passive hand held tools: e.g. cable strippers, wire cutters, fibre cleaver etc.
4. Active tools (electrically powered); e.g. Arc fusion splicer, heat gun, heat curing fixtures etc.
5. Connectors for terminated fibres.
6. Completed internal and external splice protection (for fusion splicing).
7. Visual inspection (microscopes).