6 February 1997 Role of pigments and species composition in modifying the absorption spectra of natural phytoplankton popultions
Author Affiliations +
Proceedings Volume 2963, Ocean Optics XIII; (1997); doi: 10.1117/12.266499
Event: Ocean Optics XIII, 1996, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Abstract
Absorption spectra from three cruises with diverse phytoplankton assemblages were decomposed into 13 Gaussian bands, representing absorption by the major chlorophylls and accessory pigments. The relationship between Gaussian peak height and the concentration of the pigment responsible for the absorption band reflects changes in the packaging effect, which were most apparent at Gaussian bands of high absorption but were close to zero for the Gaussian band centered around 623 nm, associated with chl-a for any phytoplankton assemblage, unaffected by variations caused by the package effect. Specific peak heights of the blue and red chl-a absorption bands were highest for the Arabesque 2 cruise and lowest for the Vancouver Island cruise, which is consistent with an increase in the package effect with increasing cell size. We estimated that 69 percent of the total variability in aph at 440 nm as due to changes in the package effect while the remaining 31 percent was due to changes in pigment composition.
© (1997) COPYRIGHT Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE). Downloading of the abstract is permitted for personal use only.
Venetia Stuart, Shubha Sathyendranath, Trevor Platt, Heidi Maass, Brian Irwin, "Role of pigments and species composition in modifying the absorption spectra of natural phytoplankton popultions", Proc. SPIE 2963, Ocean Optics XIII, (6 February 1997); doi: 10.1117/12.266499; https://doi.org/10.1117/12.266499
PROCEEDINGS
5 PAGES


SHARE
KEYWORDS
Absorption

Packaging

Magnesium

Oceanography

Algorithm development

Ocean optics

Promethium

Back to Top