3 March 2000 Automated damage onset analysis techniques applied to KDP damage and the Zeus small-area damage test facility
Author Affiliations +
Automated damage testing of KDP using LLNLs Zeus automated damage test system has allowed the statistics of KDP bulk damage to be investigated. Samples are now characterized by the cumulative damage probability curve, or S-curve, that is generated from hundreds of individual test sites per samples. A HeNe laser/PMT scatter diagnostic is used to determine the onset of damage at each test site. The nature of KDP bulk damage is such that each scatter signal may possess many different indicator of a damage event. Because of this, the determination of the initial onset for each scatter trace is not a straightforward affair and has required considerable manual analysis. The amount of testing required by crystal development for the National Ignition Facility (NIF) has made it impractical to continue analysis by hand. Because of this, we have developed and implemented algorithms for analyzing the scatter traces by computer. We discuss the signal cleaning algorithms and damage determination criteria that have lead to the successful implementation of a LabView based analysis code. For the typical R/1 damage data set, the program can find the correct damage onset in more than 80 percent of the cases, with the remaining 20 percent being left to operator determination. The potential time savings for data analysis is on the order of approximately 100 X over manual analysis and is expected to result in the savings of at least 400 man-hours over the next 3 years of NIF quality assurance testing.
© (2000) COPYRIGHT Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE). Downloading of the abstract is permitted for personal use only.
Richard Sharp, Richard Sharp, Michael J. Runkel, Michael J. Runkel, } "Automated damage onset analysis techniques applied to KDP damage and the Zeus small-area damage test facility", Proc. SPIE 3902, Laser-Induced Damage in Optical Materials: 1999, (3 March 2000); doi: 10.1117/12.379305; https://doi.org/10.1117/12.379305

Back to Top