Francois Genova Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg (France) Guy T. Rixon Univ. of Cambridge (United Kingdom) Francois Ochsenbein Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg (France) Clive G. Page Univ. of Leicester (United Kingdom)
For the Virtual Observatory to connect archives around the globe, some standardization is needed. It is not necessary to rework the internal structure of each archive to a common standard, but standards for interfaces to archives and for exchange of data are important.
We report on standardization work currently going on in the AVO and AstroGRID projects in the following areas:
- Exchange formats for tabular data;
- Semantic definitions for quantities in tabular data;
- Identification of user and authorization to use resources;
- Query interfaces to archives;
- Catalogues of data resources.
Discussion on standards is ongoing among all Virtual Observatory projects.