17 May 2005 Decision uncertainty in a structural health monitoring system
Author Affiliations +
Abstract
This paper examines the effects of uncertainty in a structural health monitoring application. Decision uncertainty acknowledges that classification system decisions are probabilistic. The particular task of interest consists of detecting and localizing which one, if any, of fifteen fasteners is loose in a thermal protection system panel. From laboratory data collected during a three month interval, a benchmark classification system is designed to detect and localize loose fasteners and corresponding accuracies are computed. The performance of this system is measured in terms of probabilities of detection, localization, and false alarm. When the benchmark classifier is applied to an independent test set of over 4,900 trials, the probability of detection is 99.6%, the probability of localization is 98.0% and the probability of false alarm is 1.0%. A method is described for reducing the effects of uncertainty and applied to the benchmark classification system. With this processing, the probability of detection becomes 99.0%, the probability of localization becomes 97.6% and the probability of false alarm becomes 0.3%.
© (2005) COPYRIGHT Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE). Downloading of the abstract is permitted for personal use only.
Martin DeSimio, Martin DeSimio, Steven Olson, Steven Olson, Mark Derriso, Mark Derriso, } "Decision uncertainty in a structural health monitoring system", Proc. SPIE 5764, Smart Structures and Materials 2005: Smart Structures and Integrated Systems, (17 May 2005); doi: 10.1117/12.599769; https://doi.org/10.1117/12.599769
PROCEEDINGS
12 PAGES


SHARE
Back to Top