We review in the context of latest lunar results the case for future lunar landers and sample returns, as discussed by
various ILEWG science and technology task groups, addressing:
- ESA Lunar Polar Lander Study (LES3)
- A generic lander platform that can be adapted to sample return or to a lunar lander /rover fetcher.
- New Science opportunities from lunar landers
- Clues on mantle/lower crust (South Pole Aitken Basin), polar ice, cometary/meteoritic record
- Technology demonstration preparation for Mars sample return
- Technology demonstrator for lunar ascent vehicle, Earth reentry, and human return vehicle
Technologies that can be developed for lunar sample return missions: entry airless bodies, Descent and landing, robotics,
Instruments, Sample acquisition, Return and Earth reentry.