Translator Disclaimer
Paper
6 February 2012 History of autostereoscopic cinema
Author Affiliations +
Proceedings Volume 8288, Stereoscopic Displays and Applications XXIII; 82880R (2012) https://doi.org/10.1117/12.909410
Event: IS&T/SPIE Electronic Imaging, 2012, Burlingame, California, United States
Abstract
This paper covers the history of autostereoscopic cinema, from the beginnings of autostereoscopy in the 1800s, the development of motion capability and it's subsequent evolution to present techniques. Public viewings of autostereoscopic movies have occurred on a semi-ongoing basis since the early 1940s. In Moscow and other cities, theaters were constructed called stereokinos, for showing autostereoscopic films, with specially positioned seating for proper viewing. The Cyclostéréoscope was an autostereoscopic cinema system invented by François Savoye in France. It was based around a drum made of metal bars that revolve around a screen. For several years in the 1940s and 1950s, it was open to the public in Paris. Any film made in a dual film format could be shown. Besides dedicated theaters in Russia and France, exhibits of content have occurred outside devoted theaters. The paper focuses on the history of autostereoscopic technology developed for entertainment, public viewing of content, the individuals involved and the content itself.
© (2012) COPYRIGHT Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE). Downloading of the abstract is permitted for personal use only.
Walter Funk "History of autostereoscopic cinema", Proc. SPIE 8288, Stereoscopic Displays and Applications XXIII, 82880R (6 February 2012); https://doi.org/10.1117/12.909410
PROCEEDINGS
25 PAGES


SHARE
Advertisement
Advertisement
RELATED CONTENT

Human considerations in stereoscopic displays
Proceedings of SPIE (June 22 2001)
Autostereoscopic Film Display
Proceedings of SPIE (July 28 1981)
Kinder, gentler stereo
Proceedings of SPIE (May 24 1999)

Back to Top