14 January 2014 Diode laser photocoagulation in PHACES syndrome hemangiomas: a case series
Author Affiliations +
PHACES syndrome is a pediatric syndrome with cutaneous and extra-cutaneous manifestations, such as Posterior fossa defects, Hemangiomas, Arterial lesions, Cardiac abnormalities/aortic coarctation, Eye abnormalities and Sternal cleft. Facial hemangiomas affect the 75% of patients and may arise on the oral mucosa or perioral cutaneous regions. In this study we treated 26 Intraoral Haemangiomas (IH) and 15 Perioral Haemangiomas (PH) with diode laser photocoagulation using a laser of 800±10nm of wavelength. For IH treatment an optical fiber of 320 μm was used, and the laser power was set ted at 4 W (t-on 200 ms / t-off 400ms; fluence: 995 J/cm2). For PH treatment an optical fiber of 400 μm at the power of 5 W was used (t-on 100 ms / t-off 300 ms; fluence: 398 J/cm2). IH healed after one session (31%), the other (69%) after two sessions of Laser therapy. In each session, only a limited area of the PH was treated, obtaining a progressive improvement of the lesion. Diode laser photocoagulation is an effective option of treatment for IH and PH in patients affected by PHACE because of its minimal invasiveness. Moreover laser photocoagulation doesn’t have side effects and can be performed repeatedly without cumulative toxicity. Nevertheless, more studies are required to evaluate the effectiveness of the therapy in mid and long time period.
© (2014) COPYRIGHT Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE). Downloading of the abstract is permitted for personal use only.
U. Romeo, U. Romeo, N. Russo, N. Russo, A. Polimeni, A. Polimeni, G. Favia, G. Favia, M. G. Lacaita, M. G. Lacaita, L. Limongelli, L. Limongelli, S. Franco, S. Franco, "Diode laser photocoagulation in PHACES syndrome hemangiomas: a case series", Proc. SPIE 8925, Fifth International Conference on Lasers in Medicine: Biotechnologies Integrated in Daily Medicine, 89250A (14 January 2014); doi: 10.1117/12.2044045; https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2044045

Back to Top