5 September 2014 Optical Sciences Center/College of Optical Sciences: 50 years of excellence
Author Affiliations +
Abstract
Aden B. Meinel established the University of Arizona Optical Sciences Center, now known as the College of Optical Sciences, in 1964 to fulfill a national need for more highly trained engineers and physicists in the optical sciences. Throughout its 50-year history, OSC has grown and evolved in response to industrial demand. It now includes a worldclass faculty and an international student body, and its academic programs offer more than 100 graduate and undergraduate courses, an ABET-accredited undergraduate optical sciences and engineering degree program, and outstanding M.S. and Ph.D. graduate programs with extensive distance learning options. Its graduates are in great demand and are employed by national and international governments, businesses and universities. This paper will describe the formation of OSC and its 50 years of excellence.
© (2014) COPYRIGHT Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE). Downloading of the abstract is permitted for personal use only.
James C. Wyant, James C. Wyant, } "Optical Sciences Center/College of Optical Sciences: 50 years of excellence", Proc. SPIE 9186, Fifty Years of Optical Sciences at The University of Arizona, 918602 (5 September 2014); doi: 10.1117/12.2064450; https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2064450
PROCEEDINGS
26 PAGES


SHARE
Back to Top