This chapter introduces the most important standards and specifications related to the field of determination requirements in drawings or specifications of optical elements and to the field of inspection and test of optical elements. These standards and specifications are written by recognized organizations and intend for use by anyone who needs and is interested in them.
These recognized organizations are
• United States Department of Defense (DOD), associated with the Military Handbook (MIL-HDBK), Military Standard (MIL-STD), and Military Specification (milspecs);
• International Organization for Standardization (ISO);
• American National Standards Institute (ANSI);
• American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM);
• American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME); and
• Deutsches Institut für Normung (DIN).
Online access to SPIE eBooks is limited to subscribing institutions.